Friday, August 8, 2008

S'more Bars


I've tried two different s'more bars recipes. Still trying to search for a recipe that was similar to the s'more bars that I had eaten during my high school tennis years. I have a recipe that I printed from the Hershey's website in 1997. 1997!!! I never actually got around to making these. The recipe is no longer available on their website, however you can find it through About.com Southern Food. If look for a s'mores bar recipe on the Hershey's website you'll find a recipe for S'more Cookie Bars. This recipe uses much more flour and marshmallow creme. It is define more like a cookie. The combination of the marshmallow creme and milk chocolate was too sweet for my taste. The 1997 version of the S'more Bars taste much more like real smores. The recipe has less flour and a little more butter which gives the graham crackers a nice crunch, plus it calls for miniature marshmallows. The milk chocolate is still a little too sweet for me. Next time, I am going to try Hershey's special dark. For the graham crackers, I used a rolling pin to crush them which worked well. You get a nice mix or crumbs with tiny pieces of graham crackers. I used 3 giant milk chocolate bars rather than 8 individual bars which worked just fine.

S'more Bars
3/4 C butter, softened
2/3 C granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 C graham cracker crumbs, crushed
1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
8 Hershey's milk chocolate bars
3 1/2 C miniature marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. In a larger bowl, beat the butter. Add the sugar; beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Blend in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs, flour, and salt. Set aside 2 1/2 C of graham cracker crumb mixture. Press remaining into baking pan. Place candy bars on top, side by side, breaking to fit if necessary on top of the mixture. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over chocolate bars. Crumble reserved graham cracker crumb mixture on top of the marshmallows. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Cool completely.

No comments: