Monday, January 14, 2008

Vietnam

I am currently in Vietnam on holiday. What an amazing country. The cities are modernized yet the country is still very rural. I've been here for a little over a week. I started my holiday in Saigon aka Ho Chi Minh City (most people, including natives still refer to the city as Saigon. Fansinating city crowded with millions of people and their mopeds. My first two days were primary spent recouping from jetlag and shopping and trying the local fare with my mom. Lots of exotic fruits. Most of the dishes I've eaten, pho, bun bo hue, chow mein, stir fries are dishes I've eaten in the states. But, they taste that much better here. Most people buy fresh vegetables, meats, noodles daily for their noon and evening meals. After a couple of days in Saigon, we trekked off on a 5 day tour to the middle of the country. We started in Da Nang then headed off to a small town, Hoi An, just south of Da Nang and finished our trip in Hue. We visited a number of historic sites including the Imperial Citadel of the Nguyen Dynasty in Hue, temples, mosoleum, and a cemetry. The food in the middle regions of Vietnam didn't impress me that much but I guess that's partly because I am use to Southern Vietnamese food. That's it for now. I'll post pictures and post more when I get back.

No comments: