Sunday, June 3, 2007

Lemon Curd Muffins



I had some lemon curd left over that I bought so I was looking for a recipe to use it in. I settled on lemon curd muffins using a basic muffin recipe, "All-Star Muffins" from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. The muffins looked better than then tasted. I thought the muffins were too dense and somewhat dried. The recipe calls for sour cream but next time I think I will try buttermilk. The muffin recipe says it makes 16, but I only made 12. Here is the recipe.

All-Star Muffins with Lemon Curd

3 1/2 C. unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 C. butter
1 C. sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C. sour cream
1 1/2 C. lemon curd

Preheat the oven to 400 F and lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy, add the eggs one at time. Add the vanilla and sour cream. Add the flour mixture, mix on low speed until smooth. Fill the muffin cups ~1/2 full with batter. Add 1 tbsp of lemon curd then top will more batter. Bake 20 to 24 minutes until tooth pick comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then cool on a rack.

No comments: